Re: Database recovery from user error

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: 10 Jun 2002 10:10:54 GMT

,Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote: : Sybrand Bakker wrote:

:> "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
:> news:adt91c01877_at_drn.newsguy.com...
:> > In article <adrgod$oho$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Howard says...
:> > >
:> > >
:> > >"Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message
:> > >news:3D013DEB.48B67291_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net...
:> > >> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
:> > >> >
:> > >> > But we don't disagree. You have a recovery scenario which has been
:> > >diagnosed
:> > >> > to within an inch of its life, and is utterly predictable as a
:> > >consequence.
:> > >> > Same recovery scenario every night... Naturally that can be
:> automated.
:> > >Our
:> > >> > original poster has dropped a table. Unless he plans on dropping the
:> > >same
:> > >> > table at the same time every day for the next year, the benefits of
:> > >scrpting
:> > >> > and automation in his scenario escape me!! ;-)
:> > >>
:> > >> Agreed - didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just shifting the topic
:> > >> slightly for the sake of keeping this group lively on a slow Friday
:> > >> afternoon.
:> > >>
:> > >
:> > >It's an even slower Saturday morning here! With rain, to boot. Oh, and
:> the
:> > >'flu to keep me company. And an 8i New Features to ready (steady?)

      myself
:> > >for next week.
:> > >
:> > >Honestly -how can anything in 8i still be called a "new feature"?? I ask
:> > >you!
:> >
:> > Dead easy - just ask Sybrand how many pre-8i databases his customers are
:> still
:> > running! For them, there are an enormous number of "new features" . ;)
:> > >
:> > >Regards
:> > >HJR
:> > >
:> > >
:> > >
:> > >> Regards,
:> > >> Sean
:> > >
:> > >
:> >
:> > HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
:> >
:> > Pete
:> >
:> > SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;
:> >

:>

:> Oh well, you could ask me how many unsupported 8i databases I have running,
:> crashing with ora-600 errors.
:> This particular customer is running 8.1.5 because the third-party app
:> doesn't support 8.1.7. And of course it is a 7 x 24 app, and the lifeblood
:> of that customer.
:> I am tempted to provide company names here, especially as the worldwide
:> consultancy firm that has sold the app to the customer and is maintaining
:> the app, consistently plays the 'cover your ass' game if anything in the
:> application goes wrong, and is blaming us. As Anjo Kolk says in a recent
:> interview in a Dutch Oracle magazine: 'It's always the DBA's fault!'
:> Developers never make any mistake.
:>

:> And : No, making overtime because of this situation every day is NOT funny
:>

:> Regards
:>

:> --
:> Sybrand Bakker
:> Senior Oracle DBA

:>
:> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

: I've got a question for you and all of the others out there that say they   have
: not upgraded due to a third-party app. I just ignore the advice. Get the   latest
: stable version. And set compatible = whatever nonsense they will support.   And
: I've never had a problem.

: What's the risk, if any?

: Daniel Morgan

It doesn't work. All it takes is a third-party app that uses 'features' that just happens to work in say 8.1.5 but fall over in a big heap in 8.1.7 with compat set to 8.1.5 because Oracle has tightened up on checking.

Been there , tried that, have the T shirt.

Helen Received on Mon Jun 10 2002 - 05:10:54 CDT