Re: Advantages of loading sorted data into large oracle tables

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 14:23:52 +0100

Amit Ghosh wrote:

> It is generally recommended that data be sorted on the primary key before
> would be the ability to create indexes fast ( using the nosort option).
> Since external sort programs such as syncsort are considerable more
> effiecient than the sorting algorithms used by Oracle this would lead to a
> more efficient load process.

I keep hearing this about syncsort and it leads me to ask a question that has been on my mind for awhile.

Is this true? And if so, why doesn't Oracle just incorporate the syncsort algorithms into the engine?

I couldn't be more than a week or two's worth of work.

Any comments from those in the know?

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Jun 09 2002 - 08:23:52 CDT