Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: <rx20010101_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2002 13:38:39 -0700

dba_222_at_yahoo.com (Roger Redford) wrote in message news:<a8c29269.0206081606.1cf62331_at_posting.google.com>... ... ...

> in my division experienced layoffs recently. Most all of
> the layoffs were Oracle people. But there were no
> layoffs of java people, or business analysts.

... ...

"Oracle people" can be a blend of many different "peoples". Exactly what type of people are among those fired? DBAs? Developers who only know old Oracle Forms and Reports? I believe there is, and will be, demand of Oracle DBAs in the job market. Just do your own research, and don't jump to conclusions too quickly from one or two cases. Those "Java people", so long as they are still doing database applications development, AND use Oracle as the backend, they are still Oracle developers, in my opinion. The trend of programming language changes faster than that of database systems, and for a single type of database system, it certainly supports different ways of applications developement and coding in different progamming languages. Back when the web was just being born, client/server app was the norm. Now I guess things are very different, but the database is pretty much the same. Another thing that is the same is that, there are always DBAs and application developers. They are just like apples and oranges. Yes the market demand may change for apple and/or orange, and they are all "fruits" after all. But being an "apple", it might worry more about a better type of apple than a better type of orange. That's my point. The demise of Oracle DBAs can only happen when Oracle, as a database, is not popular any more (beaten by another database), or it doesn't need professional administrators anymore (this is less likely). Received on Sun Jun 09 2002 - 15:38:39 CDT