interpreting tablespace settings

From: T Stoneman <tstoneman4_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2002 12:24:48 -0700

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I am trying to create a simple table and it returned the error:

ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace TEST I went through google, and it turns out that I needed to increase the size of my tablespace. So that's fine, but I was wondering if someone could help me understand why my tablespace did not automatically resize....

My tablespace has the following settings: BLOCKSIZE 8192
INITIAL_EXTENT 65536

NEXT_EXTENT      <blank>
MIN_EXTENTS      1
MAX_EXTENTS      2147483645
PCT_INCREASE     <blank>
MIN_EXTLEN       65536
STATUS           ONLINE
CONTENTS         PERMANENT
LOGGING          LOGGING
EXTENT_MAN       LOCAL
ALLOCATION_TYPE  SYSTEM
PLUGGED_IN       NO

SEGMENT_SPC_MAN MANUAL I'm having some problems grasping what exactly the NEXT_EXTENT column means...If the next_extent is blank, does that mean that I am still using my initial extent? Or if there is a value within next extent, does this mean that my tablespace grew beyond the initial extent and is now using a new extent. Or does it mean that *if* a new extent will be created, it will use this setting, but it doesn't necessarily mean that I in fact am using a new extent.

Does the fact that my next_extent and pct_increase are blank indicate that my tablespace will not auto-increase in size? I read through my books, but they all tell me how to create tablespaces, and not how to diagnose or analyze tablespaces that already exist...

Thanks in advance,

Terry Stoneman Received on Sun Jun 09 2002 - 14:24:48 CDT