Re: How to connect to the Oracle server which resides behind firewall?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 08:31:13 +0200

"EL_Chicho" <jerrysenf_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:3D028F8E.6A06B4AA_at_yahoo.co.uk...
> How to connect to the Oracle server which resides behind firewall and
> which is using non-routable local address e.g. 192.168.100.10?
>
> Situation:
> Oracle Listener and database server is on local IP address
> 192.168.100.10, client is on valid Internet address e.g. y.y.y.y and
> firewall is on IP address x.x.x.x. Firewall reroutes every packet from
> y.y.y.y. to Oracle server and vise verse (using IP-masquerade).
> When client connects to the Oracle server it actually connetcs to the
> firewall IP address on port 1521, firewall reorutes packets to the
> Oracle server and listener respondes to the client thorugh firewall.
> But when client is trying to connect to the database server opening
> another TCP/IP connection he tries to connect to the 192.168.100.10 IP
> address which is actuall address of server, but this address is
> non-routable!!!!
> I guess that Ora listener sends this address of Oracle server to the
> client when he tries to open link to the database because listener is
> only dispatcher for incoming client requests!
> How to configure Oracle Listener to be 'aware' that Oracle server has
> non-existing or non-valid IP address?

You need to configure Oracle Connection Manager (if you have Oracle 8i and beyond, which the group as always should *guess* you have), as that is the only product supporting Network Address Translation. Further details in the net8 documentation and on Metalink, search for NAT

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA