Re: Oracle data file format

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2002 11:10:19 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<a544gu8u780pfqar6isgdp51sud8m9ru09_at_4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 06:30:36 GMT, "Jim Kennedy"
> <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote:
>
> >Bad idea. Just use export and import.
> >Jim
> >"Yong Huang" <yong321_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> But more interesting is the test of reusing the same datafile between
> >> WindowsWhatever and Intel Linux (has to be Intel Linux, not Sparc e.g.
> >> due to byte ordering). Can anyone do this test? If that succeeds which
> >> I doubt, then we can try Windows and True64.
> >>
> >> In any case, all these are unsupported. Somebody I know had a plan to
> >> write a program to directly modify datafiles to support cross-platform
> >> datafile move. Not sure about his progress. That's even more
> >> un-supported!
> >>
> >> Yong Huang
> >

> Not only that: unprofessional advice. Will Mr. Yong Huang assume
> responsibility if someone following this advice screws up or does he
> have a very good lawyer?
> There is also no difference between 'unsupported' and 'even more
> unsupported'. If I would know the e-mail address of the Oracle Legal
> Affairs department I would forward this post so they can sue him.
>

> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

What I don't understand is why people like to experiment with their databases when Oracle has provided tools like exp/imp to move databases between platforms and versions. Shortest distance between WinNT/2000 <--> Unix <--> Linux etc is via exp/imp. Any other route will be at one's own risk. Received on Sat Jun 08 2002 - 13:10:19 CDT