Re: How to monitor schema changes

From: Andy Sprecher <andy.sprecher_at_huntington.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:35:54 +0000 (UTC)

I will just add my voice to the chorus of those suggesting removing developer rights from the production system.

Change the application password ( if you can at this point ) and keep it in a safe! If the developers absolutely need to see data then create them a read only user and have them submit changes ( DDL or DML ) to you via some kind of formal change control process. This will document the changes and help you monitor when they occur.

Anyway, I've not had the opportunity to play with it yet, but does anyone know if Oracle Change Manager can assist in this regards?

I've used the registered TOAD to compare development/test/production databases on occasion. It provides an anlaysis of differences and provides a "correction" script that you can run to "fix" any discrepancies. Its I nice way of perform the compare and has helped on occasion.

That's my 2 cents worth....