Re: Oracle data file format

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2002 10:41:26 -0700

Mark Malakanov <markmal_no_spam_at_rogers.com> wrote in message news:<3D007251.9050005_at_rogers.com>...
> There is so many unixes. Probably it is possible to put window's
> datafiles files into INTEL Linux, and may be it will even work,
> but nobody can guarantee that, and Oracle Corp will not support.

I documented the success of reusing datafiles in WindowsNT and Windows2000 at http://www.stormloader.com/yonghuang/computer/OracleIdiosyncrasies.html, Item#9. You may say they're not really different OSes. Well, Microsoft think they are. I have a feeling that the file system and platform byte ordering matter more than the OS label.

But more interesting is the test of reusing the same datafile between WindowsWhatever and Intel Linux (has to be Intel Linux, not Sparc e.g. due to byte ordering). Can anyone do this test? If that succeeds which I doubt, then we can try Windows and True64.

In any case, all these are unsupported. Somebody I know had a plan to write a program to directly modify datafiles to support cross-platform datafile move. Not sure about his progress. That's even more un-supported!

Yong Huang Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 12:41:26 CDT