Re: Oracle 9i on Win 2K

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:05:39 GMT

Bob Bain wrote:

> OK,
>
> I am looking for information about installing Oracle 9i databases under a
> Win2K environment, we are currently in the planning stage of a Data
> Warehouse and estimate that it will start around the 80G mark and grow to
> beyond 160G.
>
> What we are after really is :-
>
> - If anyone has run into or encountered any problems with databases of this
> size on a Win2K platform
> - Has anyone had problems with installing and running 9i on Win2K
> - Anything else we should be wary of.
>
> Your response and help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> --
> --
> Bob Bain
> Senior Database Administrator,
> Markel Insurance Services Ltd.
> http://www.markelintl.com mailto:bob.bain@markelintl.com

On Win2K the problem is not one of size ... but rather of security, stability, and scalability.

How sensitive is the data?
How much downtime can you afford rebooting the server because the OS leaks memory?
Have many users? How many transactions?

Size if just a question of hard disk capacity. The other criteria are far more critical.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 11:05:39 CDT