Re: Oracle data file format

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:48:06 +0100

Morning all, I'm out from behind the firewall again - who knows for how long though :o(

Just to add on the 'can I move a Windows datafile to Unix' question. I did actually do something similar to that at one point. I FTP'd the datafiles for an HP database to a Digital Alpha server, did all the bits about renaming and creating controlfiles etc, and then tried 'startup'. It got so far and failed with an error along the lines of 'not a valid datafile'.

Being a very junior dba, I logged a TAR and got a swift reply which said 'Oracle doesn't support transfer of datafile between operating systems because some have numbers stored as 'little endian' and others are 'big endian' this causes instant corruption were it to be allowed. The only cross platform method of getting a database is to EXPort and IMPort.'

They didn't laugh at me either :o)

HTH Regards
Norman.

Norman Dunbar