Sun Solaris Close - cannot turn archive log on

From: Eva Haiden <eva.haiden_at_engnetworld.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2002 01:58:31 -0700

Dear Oracle users,

I have the following problem: I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on a Sun Solaris Sparc Clone. Using the Database Assistent I am trying to create a database instance with archive mode enabled.

If I turn the archive log on, the database instance will not be created. When starting the instance, I receive the error message: "ORA-01034 Oracle not available".

If I turn the archive log off, the database instance is created fine. But if I try to turn on the archive log after the instance has been created with ALTER DATABASE it lasts only as long as the database is not shutdown. With the next start of the instance the archive log mode is turned off again.

If I modify the init<instance name>.ora file to enable the archive mode, the database instance starts with the error message: "ORA-00439 feature not enabled Managed standby" and acts like a standby database even it is the initial database.

I appreciate any help! Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 03:58:31 CDT