How to monitor schema changes

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:54:56 +0200

Hello

Users complain to the DB administrator (me) when the DB developer has changed the DB schema so that the SQL queries don't work anymore.

Is there a way to monitor changes in the DB schema? I mean when tables or views are renamed, columns are deleted, etc.

I thought that doing an export with the option rows=no and comparing this output (which contains all ddl commands) with further similar exports should reveal any changes.

In general, what is the best practice in order to avoid this kind of problems caused by changes in the DB schema? (Supposing that such changes are absolutely necessary).

Thanks
Rick Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 16:54:56 CDT