Re: Effect of NOLOGGING tablespace on hot backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 05:41:19 +1000

Actually, very little happens when you set NOLOGGING, so the answer is nearly number 3. But since they wouldn't have invented a useless keyword (Oh, I forgot -they did. Hello PCTINCREASE).... OK, so they wouldn't *intentionally* invent a useless keyword, so the answer is also nearly number 2.

Plain fact of the matter is that ordinary DML *ALWAYS* logs, whatever the tablespace says. NOLOGGING is respected, however, by certain operations (such as create index, create table ... as select, and a lot of Partitioned DML). Whenever one of these operations is performed in a nologging table, it's time to backup, because they are unrecoverable by applying redo.

Incidentally, it's what nologging is set to on the *table* that counts. What the tablespace is set to is irrelevant -that's only specifiable at the tablespace level so as to provide a default setting for tables created within the tablespace. If the tablespace says nologging, and you create a table 'logging', the logging attribute is the one that is set for that table.

Regards