Re: SAN revisited

From: Mike Borden <tilwenbr_at_netscape.net>
Date: 6 Jun 2002 07:17:57 -0700

Ok, I'm going to tell you what we did and the theory behind it. Also, I haven't read the white paper that is previously posted, but I will now.

We put the redo logs and archived redo's on the local disk. We have an IBM AIX box using ssa, and the SAN is an IBM Shark. The theory behind this is, if the Shark was writting bad cache to the redo logs, the DB couldn't be recovered. Yes, the same thing could happen on the local box. However, if the SAN was writting bad cache to the DB files and the redo logs weren't getting the bad cache writes, cause they are on the local disks. The database could be recoverd. If everything was on the SAN then the DB would be trashed for sure. You would have to pull out backups before the SAN starting writting the bad cache to disks. Basically this is making sure that there wasn't a single point of failure. Like I said that was the theory here.

So far, we haven't had any bottle necks by putting the redo logs and archived redo logs on the local SSA drives. Yes they are mirrored.

Actually, I'm going to read the white paper now to see what it says.