Re: Import Waits

From: Harry Boswell <hboswel1_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 04:56:33 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:44:22 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 04:18:12 GMT, hboswel1_at_bellsouth.net (Harry
>Boswell) wrote:
>
>>I was running an import, with an export file about 2GB in size; about 80%
>>of the data is in one table with a LONG RAW column. The import is taking
>>about 7 hours; the target db is not in archive log mode. The machine is a
>>Sun E4500, Oracle 8.0.5. I was watching TOAD's Database Monitor, and
>>noticed that there seemed to be lots of waits for log writes and control
>>file IOs. Is there some way to lessen these waits? This export file was
>>created with indexes=n, rows=y, constraints=n; I have a second file with
>>indexes=y, rows=n, constraints=y. Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Harry Boswell
>
>Ideas
>1 stop running a desupported version

We're in the process of moving to 8.1.7. Will that version provide a boost in speed?

>2 tune the log writer. The waits are unavoidable.

Maybe it's just because I've been here 16 hours today, but... if the waits are unavoidable, what will tuning do? Or am I misinterpreting what you've said?

Thanks,
Harry Boswell Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 23:56:33 CDT