Re: EXPLAIN PLAN differences

From: Bradley Pierce <bpie1000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2002 17:53:43 -0700

I think plan stability is intended for once you've tuned some code and you want to cement the execution plan, such that changes to the database don't screw it up. This might be what you're looking for.

However, it might also be that you haven't yet isolated the optimum execution plan, and have a development environment that lacks all the data existing on the production environment. Using DBMS_STATS, you can export statistics (.EXPORT_SCHEMA_STATS), move to new environment (Exp/Imp), import statistics (.IMPORT_SCHEMA_STATS), and the CBO should respond as if all the data from the production system were present in the development environment. This would allow you to tune your code in development.

--BP