Re: oracle 9i connection string with SYS account

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2002 15:39:54 -0700

In article <adkqbl$eet$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Howard says...

>I suspect this one will run and run.

snip good advice

>But Sybrand's point should be heeded: the SYS account is unique, and if all
>you need to do is create tablespaces and Users, then you don't need it. All
>routine administration should be done as SYSTEM (default password =
>'manager').

You know, I think this is one time I'd have to disagree with you Howard. SYSTEM still owns data dictionary tables for some functionality, such as replication. I tend to think NEITHER SYSTEM nor SYS should be used for this fucntionality. Create your own equivalent of SYSTEM, but don't use either SYS or SYSTEM for this. Other viewpoints?

>There is a way to connect as SYS without supplying the 'as sysdba' keywords,
>but I'm not going to tell you what it is, because you really, really don't
>want to do what you are thinking of doing. Heed Sybrand's advice, and
>connect as SYSTEM instead, and read the Oracle Concepts manual, so you
>understand how to compare SQL Server apples with Oracle apples, and not
>oranges.
>
>Regards
>HJR
>

>"Bertus Dam" <b.dam_at_gmx.net> wrote in message
>> I know I need to change the sys password, I know the SYS account isn't
>meant
>> for daily use, and I know I need to read those manuals too :)
>>
>> Only one thing: I'm trying to get my application to work with Oracle. It
>> already supports SQL Server. I have a
>> script to fill my database with some stuff. But first I want to create a
>> database of course. Now in SQL Server it works like this: You log on to
>the
>> master database with Integrated Security (O/S security) From there I can
>> create a database and create users etc. etc. Only thing I want to know is
>> how to do this in Oracle.
>>

>> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

>9i

>> > You should NEVER EVER use the SYS account as an ordinary account, you
>> > should NOT use it to create tables under it, and you should ALWAYS
>> > change the password from the default, which you clearly didn't do.
>> > In Oracle 9i the SYS account has been changed into a special with
>> > special privileges.
>> > Oracle did that in order to BLOCK access to sys, anyone using SYS as
>> > an ordinary account is likely to create havoc.
>> > Disregard the other advice, it is clearly 100 percent unprofessional
>> > in your situation.
>> > Please start reading those manuals now.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>> >
>> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 17:39:54 CDT