Re: Oracle Alert on upgrades to 9.2.0.1

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2002 15:28:12 -0700

In article <b4693418.0206050856.3d0c64ac_at_posting.google.com>, kevinc_at_polyserve.com says...

>Well then. I'll let everyone know how well the workaround "works".
>My current project is a VLDB (10TB) proof of concept on a 10 node cluster
>of Dual Proc Dells attached to 20TB RAID 1+0 XIOtech arrays and all stored
>in PolyServe clustered filesystems... let's just say there are a BUNCH of
>freelists that will need repaired!
>
>Wish me luck!

Obviously it's a plot to get you to use automatic segment space management (just love that ASS management acronym!) ;)

Seriously, we found this very useful with a high insert client here in the US. DInd't have to work out how many freelists or freelist groups to have. If you do use it though, here's a pointer to be careful of. Whatever you do, don't reorg the tablespaces and leave off the ASM clause. Default is to use manual segment space management, and your performance can drop alarmingly if you suddenly go back to using one master freelist - ouch!

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 17:28:12 CDT