Re: Rman

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 06:30:24 +1000

It entirely depends on what version of RMAN you are using. If it's 9i, then you can do what you want very easily: set a retention policy of 'redundancy 2', and periodically run 'report obsolete;' followed by 'delete obsolete;'.

But 'delete obsolete' was invented only in 9i, so your options are very much more restricted in 8i. Restricted to the point, in your case, that it can't be done: the relevant commands are things like 'change catalog'... and since you don't have a catalog, you wouldn't be able to use those.

Regards