Re: How to Build a similare DataBases on Oracle and SQLServer

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:22:19 GMT

Laurent wrote:

> Hello,
> I am looking for some tips to make a software ( VB, ADO) that could handle
> Oracle and SQLServer.
>
> 1/As first left join is not supported by Oracle do i have to
> - Check which server I am on (client side) and change the script before
> opening recordset and so
> - should I better use the funny join of Oracle ( Where tab1.field1 =
> tab2.fields2 (+) ) for both case what to do for the (+)
> Is there so spécial kind of oledb that make the translation for me, or
>
> 2/ Will it be reasonnable to create similare Store Procédure on both systeme
> or make the treatment on client side (the application wasn't doing so bad on
> MSACCESS)
>
> 3/Is there special trouble like kind of Recordset not supported,, implicite
> transaction,..) that we should especialy care about.
>
> thank.

  1. You are incorrect. Certainly with respect to 9i.
  2. It is unreasonable to create similar stored procedures at the code level though you may wish to create procedures that perform similar functions with the same name. So, for example, a procedure that reserves airplane seats might exist in both systems but the methodology of the code inside them will be different.
  3. No. But there are very substantial differences in concurrency, locking, and transactions that must be understood or you will fail.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 10:22:19 CDT