Partitioning question

From: SerGioGio <serge.malonga_at_supelec.fr>
Date: 5 Jun 2002 01:00:33 -0700

Hi !!

A little question about Oracle's partitioning system...

We have to load on one table about 500,000 rows each day, that is to say approximately 2 GB.
We want also to perform a "rolling window" mechanism : we keep rows until they become 1 year old, and then we want to delete them. So, in the table, at any given time, there are only 365 days of loaded rows. It looks a lot to me like a classical requirement ;)

We are thinking of using one partition per day, but we are not aware of the drawbacks. Oracle documentation says it would speed up process (for exemple when deleting the 366 days old rows), but they also give an example where they would not use a partition per day in a daily load scenario but instead a partition per week (and then, update the partition every day). It looks a bit more difficult to set up. They are not very clear about why we shouldn't use one partition per day, so I would like to know what are your opinions about that ?

Thanks in advance !!

SerGioGio Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 03:00:33 CDT