Re: Question regarding 64-bit Oracle

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:59:44 +0200

All you say is true and is my policy too, but is not related to what I wanted to say.

All objects are valid in the database when started in a 64-bit environment after a shutdown in a 32-bit environment, so nothing to compile! Oracle provides $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql to invalidate all PL/SQL objects and then calls utlrp.sql to compile all that is invalid. That's a good script because it skips a previous found invalid object if it has become valid inbetween by compilation of other objects. Ever tried to compile all invalid Java classes in a database after applying patch 8.1.7.3? Well, my "SQL that genereates SQL script" ran 8 hours and ended up with all hundreds of Java classes invalid because of the many dependencies. Utlrp took 20 minutes and fixed it.

RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> schreef in berichtnieuws 0L7L8.23397$UT.1602348_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| Well you could just write "SQL that writes SQL" (is there a name for that
| yet?) that generates a script that executes
|
| DBMS_UTILITY.COMPILE_SCHEMA('fill_in_the_schema');
|
| if that's all that's worrisome.
|
| You may have to do iterative recompilations where you've got tedious
| dependencies between stored procedures, packages, and views.
|
| One of the procedures that gets run every morning especially on our
| development instances (well especially especially on production...) is a
|
| select owner, object_name, object_type
| from dba_objects
| where status = 'INVALID'
| order by owner, object_name, object_type;
|
| In prod, it usually is just a COUNT, and all hell breaks loose if it is
| greater than zero. (Hmm, I've not thought of checking if it is less than
| zero...but after having more than one row in DUAL a few times.... maybe I
| should.)
|
| My policy's always been that invalid objects in dev are okay during the
| workday, but they better be either valid or gone by the end of the day.
| Invalid objects in production are never okay, unless there is an
incredibly
| good excuse. (Oracle Apps can be one of them, sometimes...)
|
| RSH.
|

| "Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message
| > Yes, but read the Metalink note about what to do. It requires something
| like
| > invalidate and recompile all pl/sql. Don't know about Java in the
| database.
| >
| > We did it once and had problems. We did not investigate further and
moved
| > that database to a node with 32-bit Oracle again.
| >
| > Chuck <ccarson_at_syrrx.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
| > 3CFB8133.9040208_at_syrrx.com...
| > |
| > | We are currently running 32-bit 8.1.7r3 on Solaris 8/64-bit. Can I
shut
| > | down that instance, install the 64-bit version of 8.1.7r3 and then
start
| > | the instance back up using the same datafiles and etc...?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | CC
| > |