Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition and WebDB

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 15:38:04 -0600

Sander wrote:

> Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in
> > I'm not sure I follow - in my old 8.1.5 instance WebDB 2.2
> > functioned (actually, I should say "functions" since it's still up
> > and running but not in production) perfectly well with the toolkit
> > installed under a regular user, not SYS (I think we called the
> > user WEBDB or something similar). The toolkit is just PL/SQL - no
> > special need to have it owned by SYS, AFAIK.
>
> Correct - but with the 8.1.7+ PL/SQL toolkit this has changed. It is
> then owned by SYS.
>
> Sander

Right, so if the goal is to be able to run the current version of the application (WebDB on 8.1.6) in an 8.1.7 RDBMS environment, I still think my original suggestion has merit. Assuming the owner of the toolkit in the current 8.1.6 database is not SYS but some generic user like WEBDB: Upgrade the database to 8.1.7 via a newly installed code tree; the "toolkit" will still be owned by WEBDB and will be treated like any other chunk of user-owned (not SYS-owned) PL/SQL in the 8.1.7 database, and run the old listener in the old 8.1.6 code tree as a client against the new database. In other words, treat WebDB like a separate application (not part of a particular rdbms release) and take advantage of the backwards-compatibility of PL/SQL and Net8.

Regards,
Sean Received on Tue Jun 04 2002 - 16:38:04 CDT