Re: CPU time << elapsed time (trace): Why?

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:15:04 +0200

yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote:

>100.17706_at_germanynet.de wrote in message news:<adhsm8$gfu$1_at_news.netmar.com>...
>> DB physical setup, global parameters and other administrative measures. I
>> used tkprof to evaluate a trace file, where I found that CPU time was
>> considerable smaller that elapsed time. Well, usually, this is due to
>> harddisk activity. The problem ist that we cannot understand this, because
>
>How about network time? OK. What's in v$session_wait for the session
>in question? Can you run truss -p [pid] and show us portion of it?

The application in question does not exchange huge amounts of data over the network.

OK, thanks for the hint using truss -p. What do you expect to see? I am afraid that the elapsed time (about 29) can't be truss'ed that way, and that I will get to much data that I won't be able to deal with. Truss would yield a long, long file, and trying to interpret what is happening would be just a mess.

But thanks anyway.

Any other propositions?

Rick Received on Tue Jun 04 2002 - 16:15:04 CDT