Re: oracle 9i connection string with SYS account

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 19:33:18 +0200

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:24:08 +0200, "Bertus Dam" <b.dam_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>I'm trying to create a connectionstring in my application to an oracle 9i
>database.
>I can't get it to work though. This is what I try:
>
>Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=svr;User
>ID=SYS;Password=change_on_install;
>
>Errormessage:
>
>Message: "ORA-28009: connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper"
>
>How can I fix this? Or how do I create a connectionstring which uses
>integrated O/S security?
>

>Thanx, Bertus

You should NEVER EVER use the SYS account as an ordinary account, you should NOT use it to create tables under it, and you should ALWAYS change the password from the default, which you clearly didn't do. In Oracle 9i the SYS account has been changed into a special with special privileges.
Oracle did that in order to BLOCK access to sys, anyone using SYS as an ordinary account is likely to create havoc. Disregard the other advice, it is clearly 100 percent unprofessional in your situation.
Please start reading those manuals now.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jun 04 2002 - 12:33:18 CDT