Re: Newbie question .....

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:06:56 -0400

I could write a book to answer the questions you ask (in fact, people have) but here are a few pointers to get you started.

There are two sets of views that you can query for the metainformation. The ALL_??? views contain information about all database objects but you must be logged in as a dba to view them. The USER_??? views hold data about objects owned or accessible to the current user. In many cases there is both a ALL_ and USER_ view such as:

ALL_TABLES displays all tables, USER_TABLES displays tables owned by the current user.
ALL_INDEXES displays all indexes, USER_INDEXES displays indexes owned by the current user.
There is also ALL_/USER_CONSTRAINTS showing constraint information and ALL_/USER_USERS showing defined users, although USER_USERS is not much use if you ask me.

The above views a based on the system V$??? views. You should read the documentation for details on these, but the V$SESSION view will show you who is current logged in, where there are logged in from, when they logged in, etc.