Re: Getting the IP address of someone connecting through web forms

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 20:01:09 GMT

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> I know I can use
>
> Select SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV',('IP_ADDRESS')
> from dual
>
> if I have 1 user per login. However, our users have a small number of
> login/passwords and they are shared. I have no control over this. If a
> specific user performs an action how do I get his specific IP address?
>
> Not sure if the above method will work. Ive been playing with it. Or
> am I wrong here. I think I can use a javabean, but I dont know Java
> and I was told not to explore this option.

A 'small number of login/passwords and they are shared'? Why? To what possible end other than to make security a joke? Why not just grant CREATE SESSION and DBA to PUBLIC?

Take a look at the options available for a on-logon trigger. You can capture all of that information at logon.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jun 03 2002 - 15:01:09 CDT