Many samll datafiles better than one big?

From: Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 18:47:18 +0200

Hello out there,
we will upgrade our database from Oracle 8.1.7 to 9i soon and I thought it is a good idea to do some restructuring along. Some time ago, I read that tablespaces with many datafile smaller than 2GB would perform better than ones with one datafile of, say, 14GB. The system will be W2k and the database will be stored on a single RAID5. I know that tabelspaces with datafiles spread over many disks will perform better but how about having all the small datafiles on one volume?

Many thanks in advance,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | la_at_oktagramm.de
Hauptstr. 26            | la_at_heptagramm.de