Re: viewing the x$ tables

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2002 12:36:05 -0700

sroesch3_at_attbi.com (Steve) wrote in message news:<efc3f20b.0206011714.3ef59b44_at_posting.google.com>...
> mark.powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message news:<178d2795.0205310528.52d2421_at_posting.google.com>...
> > yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0205301412.3230de30_at_posting.google.com>...

> > > I always login as SYS to view them. I don't know why many people say
> > > it's not good to stay in there as SYS. You can get a full list of them
> > > from x$kqfdt and x$kqfta. Many have definitions in
> > > v$fixed_view_definition. The best way to understand them is to read
> > > Steve Adams' book and articles on his site, browse on Metalink, and do
> > > all kinds of experiment. It's rarely necessary to rely on these tables
> > > to do your daily work.
> > >
> > > Yong Huang
> >
> > I agree that "It's rarely necessary to rely on these tables
> > to do your daily work." If you want to use the x$ tables from your
> > DBA then just create a set of synonyms on them and generate the grants
> > as sys to the DBA role.
> >
> > -- Mark D Powell --
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> no good idea, this might brake future upgrades or at least you will
> get invalid objects. There is absoltuley no guarantee that the x$
> tables still exists.
>
> Steve

The original post was how to use these views more easily without having to log on to being SYS. Synonyms will work for that, and the proper way to create the list would be to use a script that generates the synonyms and grants for whatever x$ tables exist at the time the script is ran. Then it would be necessary to test all scripts that rely on the x$ tables. We have found it wise with every upgrade to test all scripts that rely on the v$ views and also to test DBA scripts that just rely on the Dictionary because things change with upgrades due to the addition or deletion of new features and options.