Re: Insert /* +append */ always ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 08:49:58 +0100

I suffered from the same delusion for a long time, perhaps for exactly the same reason - and it is even possible that something of this sort was stated explicitly in the early releases of the feature.

However, it is only the UNDO that is omitted, and then only the UNDO on the table, not on its indexes. The REDO is still generated.

Of course, your example does suggest that  the REDO is not generated either, but
was your database in NOARCHIVELOG mode ?

People often overlook the fact that Create Table as Select is not logged if the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode, regardless of whether the CTAS is LOGGING or NOLOGGING. I haven't checked it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to /*+ append */.

MYTH WARNING
MYTH WARNING
MYTH WARNING It is quite easy to 'prove' a point by doing an experiment which looks okay, but doesn't quite cater for all the necessary details.

MYTH WARNING
MYTH WARNING
MYTH WARNING

--