Re: Listener Woes

From: Bob <bobs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 06:47:31 GMT

Sybrand,

Thanks for your reply. After continuing to read I came to realize that as you say, only the server is running a listener service. What I'm not clear on is if I have just one listener for the server machine or do I create listeners on the server for each client as well as the server itself.. Again, thanks.

Bob :-)
"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:2lcjfuckn11mm9n6mu1igspcmr5cgg2316_at_4ax.com...
> On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 03:17:03 GMT, "Bob" <bobs_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm brand new to Oracle Server and have a bit of a problem with
listeners.

> >I have set the Oracle 8i for NT server up on a Windows 2000 Server and
then
> >installed the Oracle Client over on a Windows 2000 workstation.
> >The server appears to be working fine and I have connected with SQL Plus
on
> >the server machine. However over on the Client side I have no listener.
> >
> >I initially had nothing showing in the services but have started a
listener
> >using lsnrct.start. Now I have a listener that starts automatically on
> >startup. However if I check it with lsnrctl services I get the following
> >display:
> >
> >Conecting to <Description =<Address =<protocol = TCP><Host =
BigDell><Port =
> >1521>>>
> >TNS -15241: TNS: No Listener
> >TNS -12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error
> >TNS 00511: No Listener
> >32-Bit Windows Error: 61: Unknown Error
> >
> >Anyone have any ideas as to what my problem is. I am connected to the
Server