Re: Listener Woes

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:54:34 +0200

On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 03:17:03 GMT, "Bob" <bobs_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm brand new to Oracle Server and have a bit of a problem with listeners.
>
>I have set the Oracle 8i for NT server up on a Windows 2000 Server and then
>installed the Oracle Client over on a Windows 2000 workstation.
>The server appears to be working fine and I have connected with SQL Plus on
>the server machine. However over on the Client side I have no listener.
>
>I initially had nothing showing in the services but have started a listener
>using lsnrct.start. Now I have a listener that starts automatically on
>startup. However if I check it with lsnrctl services I get the following
>display:
>
>Conecting to <Description =<Address =<protocol = TCP><Host = BigDell><Port =
>1521>>>
>TNS -15241: TNS: No Listener
>TNS -12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error
>TNS 00511: No Listener
>32-Bit Windows Error: 61: Unknown Error
>
>Anyone have any ideas as to what my problem is. I am connected to the Server
>machine and can get files etc. just fine. Thanks.
>
>Bob :-)

The listener needs to run on the server only. On the *server* issue lsnrctl start, you need listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora
On the client you need the latter 2 files only, and you should be able to tnsping and connect.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Jun 02 2002 - 00:54:34 CDT