Re: Numeric Overflow

From: Boaz Laufer <lauferb_at_adit-tec.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2002 12:42:42 -0700

"Nelson Caraballo" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<ufgpqib6155c33_at_news.supernews.com>...
> I once in a while get a numeric overflow error when I update tables using
> an external application. What exactly causes this error?
>
> Thanks

is it a ORA-xxxxx error or application?

if it is Oracle error it means that there's no space for the number that you try to update.
Maybe you use 'Integer' datatype in your table and try to put a large number, or maybe you use a number datatype with a fixed length and try to put a number that is too big.

Check the table declaration.

a regular 'number' datatype can contain a very large number (something like 1e39) so It must be something different than a regular numeiric datatype.

Boaz. Received on Sat Jun 01 2002 - 14:42:42 CDT