Re: Insert /* +append */ always ?

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 19:08:05 +0200

On 1 Jun 2002 04:37:07 -0700, lauferb_at_adit-tec.com (Boaz Laufer) wrote:

>"R Chin" <rchin_at_panix.com> wrote in message news:<ab1l09$94b$1_at_reader1.panix.com>...
>> Should I ALWAYS do
>> Insert /* +append */ into select .....
>> as opposed to
>> Insert into select...... ???
>>
>> Under what circumstances should I NOT use the hint ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rob
>
>the thing is, INSERT with APPEND only inserts the rows AFTER THE HIGH
>WATER MARK!
>This means that it doesn't use blocks that has data or had data in the
>past that was deleted! (even if there's enough space to add more rows)
>and this can cause a problem, especially if you delete the rows
>afterwards and than insert rows again. the old blocks wont be used and
>the table will get bigger and bigger...
>(I had this exact problem at one of our customers!!!!)
>
>Regards,
>Boaz
>
>____________________
>Boaz Laufer.
>Oracle DBA and Consultant.
>Adit-Information Technologies.
>Adanet business group.

Hi,

a furthermore, your INSERTs won't make their way into the redo logs, making recovery unpossible.

Your quesion shoud be:

When to use the APPEND-hint?

You should use it as a tool to perform mass data tasks in a timely manner. For OLTP it's a nono.

Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Sat Jun 01 2002 - 12:08:05 CDT