Re: Oracle is Spinning its Wheels

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 15:52:55 +0200

Craig Kelley wrote:

> I'm running Oracle under RedHat 6.2, and it's been flawless, however
> just this week Oracle has started hanging up while using 100% of
> the CPU. The memory usage of that process gradually increases over
> time, but is still only using about 25MB after 8 hours of doing this.
>
> It's Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 running on a Xeon/1Ghz machine with 1GB of
> RAM and about 200 GB of disk space. How do I diagnose the problem? I
> can still login to the server and execute simple queries, but if I do
> anything complicated (including a sort) then it'll sit there "forever"
> doing nothing at all. "dbshut" acts the same way, even if I tell it
> to perform an immediate shutdown, it'll sit there waiting for
> something. There is one error in the alert log:
>
> Tue May 28 09:57:07 2002
> Errors in file /u01/oracle/admin/dur/udump/ora_2410.trc:
> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [723], [52680], [52680],
> [memory leak], [], [], [], []
>
> Any advice?

The ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [723], [52680], [52680], [memory leak], [], [], [], [], is an erogenous message. When a session terminats, it frees the used memory and calculates some values on how much it aquired and how mush is beeing made free. If that calc fails, the message is prodused. There must be a memory leak. There is an error in the code, actually no memory leak is present. And there is a patch to fix this. (Metalink - you know).

On cpu usage, start with top. Is it an Oracle process eating all cputime, or is it another process. That's the question (Shakespares). In case it is an Oracle process - then witch ? A user or a system process, lgwr, dbwr, reco, arch, smon, pmon,....

Post the news.

rgds

/Svend Jensen Received on Sat Jun 01 2002 - 08:52:55 CDT