Re: difference between v$, gv$, and v_$?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 19:42:11 +0200

On 31 May 2002 04:57:07 -0700, rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote:

>Yes I know I can look at them and I have. Im trying to figure out what
>the different methodology in the naming convention is? Why is one v$,
>one v_$, another gv_$, and another gv$?
>
>What is the reasoning?

gv is an acronym for global view. It comes into play when running Oracle Parallel Server. The gv% views will show results for the complete cluster. Note many of the v$ views just select from the global view with a where clause referring to the local instance. v%$ are just synonyms (please look up what they are in dba_objects) for v_$. There was a rationale behind this, but right now I can't recall it.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 12:42:11 CDT