Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition and WebDB

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:51:53 GMT

Sander wrote:

> Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in
> > Wait, why can't Chloe just upgrade the database to 8.1.7 and keep
> > the 8.1.6 webdb code tree around? WebDB was basically 2
> > components, a simple http listener (effectively a dbms client),
> > and a bunch of PL/SQL in the database. Assuming everything is
> > working properly in 8.1.6, what would be wrong with:
> >
> > - installing a separate 8.1.7 code tree
> > - upgrading the existing database to 8.1.7 via normal, supported
> > processes (the WebDB PL/SQL packages should migrate OK, yes?)
> > - pointing the 8.1.6 WebDB listener to the 8.1.7 database via
> > SQLNET?
> >
> > I haven't tried it, but it may be worth a shot.
>
> The old HTTP server (WebDB Listener) does not work with the 8.1.7
> PL/SQL toolkit. And the old WebDB PL/SQL toolkit does not work in
> 8.1.7.

Huh. That's surprising, but I'll take your word for it. I can see why the old HTTP listener wouldn't work with the new toolkit, but I'm surprised that the underlying pl/sql engine changed so much between 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 that the 8.1.6 WebDB pl/sql would stop working. Well, thanks for the info.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 09:51:53 CDT