Re: Odd statement in docs regarding block size

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 21:03:49 +1000

In article <dKEJ8.28$361.211_at_news.oracle.com>, you said (and I quote):

> It's the perennial problem: do you tell an approximation of the truth which
> is technically inaccurate, but which will "do" for 70% of the DBAs who have
> nothing too large or to strenuous to manage, and is relatively simple to
> grasp; or do you tell the nitty-picky technically accurate stuff, the
> reasoning for which can be quite hard to explain and/or understand, and
> which quite often won't make a major difference to
> performance/resilience/whatever?

I'd say both. In different contexts. There is a time and a place for basic courses and education. There is also another for more detailed stuff, which is not necessary for basic survival but a "nice to know". And then there are folks like Steve, who lie in bead at night thinking about buffer cache headers. They have a place too.

> I can't speak for Tom, but I suspect my problem is just that I have too much
> time on my hands to play and experiment!

Yeah! Back to work, you bum!
:-D

PS: all's fine. World of pain, but the pain killers are good fun. And the World Cup has started and my bottle stash is full. Ain't life wonderful!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto