Junk Datafile

From: markag <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: 31 May 2002 06:16:02 GMT

I have a datafile in a tablespace TEMP marked as temporary that was placed incorrectly on a small drive. I now want to rid myself of this datafile from the database. I want to remove this datafile from oracle's use, then physically delete it from the OS.

Can I do that?

What are the steps?

I think I need to

  1. shutdown DB
  2. Copy DataFile in OS
  3. Tell Oracle to rename file: ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'C:\TEMP01.DBF' to 'D:\TEMP01.DBF'

This makes the file C:\TEMP01.DBF invisible to Oracle.

Can I then safely delete it?

Also, I ned the same to happen to by standby database.

4) shutdown DB
5) Copy DataFile in OS
6) startup nomount
7) mount standby database
8) Tell Oracle to rename file:

ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'C:\TEMP01.DBF' to 'D:\TEMP01.DBF'

9) recover standby database

Help Really Appreciated!