Re: Problems with data type (number converted to char)

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 22:20:33 -0500

On 28 May 2002, manu_at_phlcommunication.com wrote:
> That's why I think that my 'select' brings me the number and blanks,
> making ASP consider it as a character. Is there a parameter that
> would tell Oracle to systematically trim all data? Or at least all
> data from NUMBER() types? So that the result of my query would not be
> ' 5 ' nor '5 ' but '5'...

Here's a table:

    Table Name: t1

     Name					   Null?    Type
     ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
     FLD1						    NUMBER(5)

Here's the data:

    SQL>select * from t1;

          FLD1

             1

Now, here's a query that shows I don't get blanks:

    SQL>select ':' || fld1 || ':' from t1;

    :1:

> Or do you think the problem's elsewhere?

Yes.

--
Galen deForest Boyer