Temp TS was too small, but how much

From: Marcel Kraupp <marcel.kraupp_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 30 May 2002 09:23:26 -0700

Hello

8i/Solaris

I have a pl/sql procedure which basically iterates over a cursor like

open r for (select a, b, c from LARGE_TABLE order by a, b)

because its a large table and oracle needs to sort a and b first, oracle doesn't have enough temp table space and doesn' finish the procedure.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much bigger the temp tablespace should be. If, for example, only 200 MB more were needed, I'd gladly give it to the database. But if it needed 12 GB more, that'd be a different story.

So, is there any possibility to determine (or estimate) the table space needed for an order by (or any other sort operation)?

Thanks
MK Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 11:23:26 CDT