Re: show parameter sort_area ?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 30 May 2002 08:20:51 -0700

Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX wrote in message news:<uk7pm46ql.fsf_at_oracle.comX>...

> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > > In 8i it should work in sql*plus, provided you have the dba role or the
> > > select_catalog_role.
>

> "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> writes:

> > I have the dba role. Could it be anything else?
>
> Ryan,
>
> Here are a few more things to try.
>
> Log into SQL*Plus as SYSTEM and do
>    SELECT FROM V$PARAMETER WHERE NAME LIKE 'sort_area%';
> and also do
>    SHOW PARAMETER sort_area
>
> Both of these should work.  If they don't then give us the exact
> errors, and the versions of the database and of SQL*Plus itself.
>
> Chris

The query is fine, but Im not sure why show parameter doesnt work. I ran it from my SYS account and this is what happened? Im assuming I need to activate some environmental thing.

Im on Oracle 8.1.7

SPAN_at_DEV> SHOW PARAMETER sort_area
unknown SHOW option "PARAMETER"
unknown SHOW option "sort_area" Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 10:20:51 CDT