Re: Star transforms and global temp tables

From: Mike Ault <mikerault_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 30 May 2002 07:07:22 -0700

Yes, we have considered the DISABLE_TEMP_TABLE setting but haven't tested it in production yet.

In my testing it seems that GTTs behave like you have indicated, but I will need some hard information before I will convince them they need really large sort area sizes.

What is your feeling about running temp as a RAW in a data warehouse? We have an Oracle consultant pushing this. Would it be a good idea to have a striped RAW volume with the stripe at about 2-4 times db_file_multiblock_read_count times db_block_size? (for us this about 256K to 512K). This will be a six way stripe on a SYMETTRIX EMC array.

Mike