Re: Database link and global names

From: Martin Drautzburg <martin.drautzburg_at_web.de>
Date: 30 May 2002 09:21:45 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes:

> Global database names can be changed quite easily
> alter database rename global_name to etc.

I know that. But it is still painful:

there is *their* world without a domain name constsiting of roughly 30 databases and *our* world *with* a domain name (.world) consisting also of 30 databases. The world *with* a domainname is under our control the world without is not.

There is one database link from one server *with* a domainname to a server *without* a domainname.

To fix the problem via rename I would have to rename *all* the global names on our side to not have a domain name anymore. This is both painful and conceptually wrong, because there is no way to tell if there are other database links pointing to our world who rely on the old name. I.o.w. I would have to be very sure about where our world ends. The same problems exist if I convince *them* to change their database names.

The root of the problem seems to be the implicit .world suffix (aka Zwangsbeglückung) that oracle adds in 8.1.7. but (correctly) didn't in 8.0.5. Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 02:21:45 CDT