Re: Odd statement in docs regarding block size

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 05:41:06 +1000

Absolutely 100% wrong, and another classic myth (backed up, in this case, by some rather misleading comments in the Oracle doco., I grant you).

Contention is most certainly an issue to worry about. But do you cure your headaches by cutting off your head? Curing contention by reducing your block size will indeed cure it... and cripple performance into the bargain. It's a rather drastic approach, in other words.

It's perfectly possible to reduce the *useable* space in a block, without altering the block size. You use initrans, maxtrans and pctfree to do so. Bump pctfree up to 80 or 90, for example, and a 16K block will actually have about as much room in it as a 2K block.

What's also missing from your analysis is the effect of a larger block size on indexes. And both OLTP and Data Warehouses use indexes. A lot.

Regards