Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition and WebDB

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:06:51 -0600

Sander wrote:

> "Chloe Crowder" <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk> wrote in
> > I'm trying to move a database & application from an Oracle 8.1.6
> > environment to 8.1.7. The application uses WebDB. I've looked in
> > the documentation and it refers to a WebDB CD, which we don't seem
> > to have. Is it hidden on another disk, or do we have something
> > missing? Could I safely use the 8.1.6 disk?
>
> The answer on the disk has been answered here already.
>
> If you want to keep WebDB working in 8.1.7 you will have to do the
> following:
>
> 1. Install 9iAS 'http server only' or use the HTTP server that comes
> with 8.1.7;
> 2. Install the newer PL/SQL toolkit (owaload.sql that ships with 9iAS)
> 3. Recompile invalid packages (utlrp.sql)
> 4. Configure the HTTP Server to work with WebDB
> (http://server:port/pls/admin_/) - you will have to add two DADs
> (Database Access Descriptors), commonly named 'webdb22' and 'webdb22s'.
>
> There is documentation on Metalink (http://metalink.oracle.com) on this
> subject - if you have support, you should be able to find it.
>
> And yes, of course this is all unsupported. But the only way it works
> with 8.1.7.

Wait, why can't Chloe just upgrade the database to 8.1.7 and keep the 8.1.6 webdb code tree around? WebDB was basically 2 components, a simple http listener (effectively a dbms client), and a bunch of PL/SQL in the database. Assuming everything is working properly in 8.1.6, what would be wrong with:

I haven't tried it, but it may be worth a shot.

Regards,
Sean Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 14:06:51 CDT