Re: Resizing of Data Files - How Long SHOULD It Take?

From: Sean <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:36:56 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Because large monolithic datafiles have to be backed up in their entirety;
> they have to be restored in their entirety; and they have to be recovered in
> their entirety.

Howard, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't RMAN capable of skipping unused portions of a datafile during backup/restore? I could swear I remember reading about (maybe just incremental?) RMAN backups skipping blocks above the HWM, but anything I say before my morning coffee is to be taken w/a grain of salt...

> There are other reasons, but those are the main ones.

We tend to keep our dbf's in the 1 to 2 gig range, mostly because that provides a nice balance between not having to add files on a daily basis and not wasting too much empty space when we do add them.

Regards,
Sean Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 10:36:56 CDT