Yet another TNS "could not resolve service name" problem...

From: Don Del Grande <delgrandedp_at_navsea.navy.mil>
Date: 29 May 2002 08:21:24 -0700

Here's the story here: I just upgraded my client side to 8.1.7, but there's an older executable application that's trying to connect to a database that's in my TNSNAMES.ORA, but as it's older the app doesn't add ".world" at the end of it and it keeps throwing an ORA-14152. I noticed that with my previous (8.0.4, I think) client, nothing required ".world" at the end of the name, but when I switched, SQL*Plus won't accept any names without it.

Here is the TNSNAMES.ORA entry (names and numbers, except for the port, have been changed to protect the site's privacy):

THIS_IS_THE_SITE.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = thecommunity.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = 1.2.3.4)
(Port = 1521)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = thesid))
  )

Here is the old SQLNET.ORA (from the 8.0.4 client):

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME) names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world
automatic_ipc = off

Here is the new SQLNET.ORA (from the 8.1.7 client):

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = navsea.navy.mil
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME) Note that I tried replacing the names.default.domain with the one from the older SQLNET.ORA, and adding the "name.default_zone" line as well, but I kept getting 14152s.

It comes down to: what do I need to change in my SQLNET.ORA and/or TNSNAMES.ORA to get host string "THIS_IS_THE_SITE" to match to TNSNAMES.ORA entry "THIS_IS_THE_SITE.world"?