Re: HPUX and Oracle Server migration

From: xo55ox <xo55ox_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 May 2002 20:56:56 -0700

edzard_at_volcanomail.com (Edzard) wrote in message news:<5d75e934.0205260425.34554818_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> First question is how to get the Oracle SOFTWARE on the new server. I
> would do a new install, using the Oracle Installation CD-ROM. Which
> CD-ROM? If you take the original 8.1.7.0 32-bit version, like
> installed on the old server, this makes the DATA migration most easy.
> So, can 8.1.7 32bit work with HPUX-11i 64bit? Yes, sure. The PA-RISC
> processors fully support 32-bit application software and I can confirm
> this from my own experience with a whole range of Oracle7! products.
>
> About the DATA: Most easy and fast (for the down time) is to copy the
> database files from the old machine. If this was the same Oracle
> version. If the new machine has the same directory structure, than you
> can also copy the control file. Otherwise you need to create one (use
> "backup control file" to get a template script).
>
> I realize there is a third question: how to create the new database
> INSTANCE or instances. But you did not ask suggestions for that so I
> leave it unanswered.
>
> If you are happy with your current system, I would think this is it.
> But the besr way to go ahead in my opinion is to do export/import. But
> you explicitly asked for other suggestions.
>
> Bye,
> Edzard Pasma

Hi Edzard,

I do plan to set up the same directory structure on both servers. And since you
suggest to install the Oracle 8.1.7 32bit software first and then do a copy on all the database files from the old machine to the new server, I wonder will it work if I do a OS tape restore to restore the 32bit Oracle software and all the database files on the new server? Then, install the 64bit Oracle to upgrade all the databases to the new 8.1.7 64bit?

Thank you very much for the info. Received on Tue May 28 2002 - 22:56:56 CDT