Re: A better Oracle backup scheme?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:43:09 +1000

I'll re-phrase your question to illustrate the essential problem here. "Is rman faster than export" could just as well be phrased "is elephant dung yellower than lime juice on a blackboard. With wheels."

It makes no sense to compare these two. Export gives you a fairly naff old way of performing logical backup. Rman gives you a fairly spiffy way of performing physical backup. One lets you recover from user error fairly painlessly, the other lets you recover from all sorts of physical stuff ups, and logical errors, and disasters.
One means that re-performing of transactions after recovery is practically compulsory; the other means that, under the right circumstances, you lose not a single committed transaction. One could be fairly compact; the other could also be fairly compact, but might also mean duplicating byte-for-byte the original database. You have sod-all control over how export sizes its files or paces its I/O operations; you can do all of that and more with rman. Yet rman requires an expensive resetlogs in the event of recovering from the inadvertant drop of an important table. Export/import does not.

You get the idea : Elephant dung makes excellent fertilizer (so the African savannah tells me). Lime juice makes an excellent afternoon refreshing drink. I wouldn't want to fertilize the African savannah with lime juice. And the other doesn't bear thinking about.

A good DBA in a typical environment would do *both*. Then he could recover from physical problems as well as logical stuff ups. And then, too, he would have options and choices to make when it came to recovery time. Be a lime-juice drinking elephant and do both: you'll make the blackboard happy.

Regards